Cats require a different home environment to dogs and this is what we look for when rehoming cats:
- Is the property near a main road, if it is we will not rehome a cat (unless indoor only) if the property is near or close to a main/busy road, too many cats get injured or killed by road users.
- Is there anyone in the family asthmatic or allergic to cats. (this is not uncommon)
- Can I commit to looking after a cat for the rest of his/her life as they can live for 20 years. What are my plans for the future eg going travelling, starting a family, living in private rented accommodation may I have to move at any stage (many landlords do not allow pets including cats) and find it difficult to find a new property as I have a cat.
- Will the cat have free access to the house and sleep indoors as all our cats and kittens are pets and we expect them to be treated as pets at the new home.
- Can I commit to keeping my new cat indoors 24/7 for 3 weeks until he/she gets used to his/her new environment, can I commit to keeping at kitten indoors 24/7 until 6 months old.
- Cats are not adopted out as presents or surprises for children or family members and the entire family must be in agreement to adoption and all family members including pets at the home visit.
- We will not adopt a cat/kitten to anyone under 21 years of age.
- Cats & Kittens do bite and scratch if even in just play mode and for that reason all children in the adopting family need to be at least 7 years of age.
Our cats & kittens are vaccinated, microchipped and spayed/neutered, there is an adoption donation of 75e to help us cover part of the cost.
If you fulfill the above requirements and wish to proceed please complete this short application form Application Form have a look on our Facebook Page or adoptapet.ie at the cats & kittens needing homes.
Viewing the cats/kittens at our foster homes is by appointment. An appointment can be made either by phone 089-4341024 or email email@example.com
If you email, please give some information in relation to how you satisfy the above requirements, also state a day and preferred time you would like to visit.
We offer a 2 week trial which gives time for everyone to settle and get used to each other, we do sign the adoption forms and collect the adoption fee but the fee is refundable if within the 2 weeks the cat has to come back. Please remember cats can take a little while to settle into their new surroundings, some will settle in within a couple of days, others may take a few weeks to adjust. Our adoptees must also come back to us if for any reason in months/years to come the animal can not be kept by the family, our animals must not be given away or sold. We are always available by phone or email for any help or advice you may need.
Finally, you also need to take into account the fact that cats are animals and that we cannot guarantee their behaviour. You should be aware that cats are by instinct hunters and will bring their owners “presents” as a mark of recognition. Although the cats we rehome are socialised, there is nearly always an adaptation period in which the cat will be shy and might hiss (especially if you have other animals); this is something you need to be prepared for. If you have children, we will recommend cats whose nature is gentle; however, it might happen that a cat will scratch if felt threatened (especially when first arriving in the home). It is thus your responsibility to supervise children when interacting with the cat/kitten.